Sign in to follow this  
Cayleb

A General Reminder

23 posts in this topic
Unread
  (#1)
Default A General Reminder - Wednesday 9th May, 2018, 03:38

Hi everyone,

As we've been bombarded with questions, i'll try and explain it better here.

About a year and a half ago, an Ex-developer stole the password database. This database was passed down through a few not-so ethical people and as you can probably tell, they've been up to some nefarious activities involving your hard earned items and purchased credits.

To combat this, our current developer has introduced hashed passwords. This means that if a database breach happens again, nobody can use this database to access your password. We are working tirelessly to contain the threats, and so far it's working. 

A few things, i'm going to hit you all with as much information as possible, to better prepare yourselves. Some of you older players will most likely remember Tripleys, Tomi and Xq8. We are led to believe it to be this group of players using this old database to access your accounts. They are likely interested in the credits that have been refunded, so they can buy pins to sell for 07GP.

- Please change your passwords immediately, even if you are a new-ish player and would not have been involved in the data breach. It does not hurt to have ever-changing passwords.

- Enable two-factor authentication immediately, if you have not done so. This is proven to keep these people at bay, and restrict them from accessing your account.

- Bank pins are essential; this is a whole new level of added security. If you're not sure how to enable one, speak to the security guard on the north wall of edgeville bank.

I realize these times are frustrating, especially if you've been a victim. But please bear with us as we attempt to eradicate the dying attempts of this group of individuals.

Best wishes,

~ Cayleb

Near Reality Management

Edited by Forg33

Unread
  (#2)
Default Wednesday 9th May, 2018, 03:40

Definitely need 2fa and bank pins. This saved my ass as a mod :kappa:

Never hurts to be too safe!

Plus, staff don't refund hacked items if u don't have 2fa and bank pin, soooooooooo yeah

Edited by Zackary

Unread
  (#3)
Default Wednesday 9th May, 2018, 03:41

Thank you for the update!

Unread
  (#4)
Default Wednesday 9th May, 2018, 03:42

I appreciate the feedback on this. My question would be in regards to what the plan of action is for anyone who lost their credits? Will they be refunded, or will they not be refunded?

I also understand that staff don't refund hacked items if you don't have a 2fa. That makes complete sense. However, it does seem extremely unfair to not when the security breach wasn't from the players but instead the database itself. 

Edited by Bye

Unread
  (#5)
Default Wednesday 9th May, 2018, 04:17

Thank you the reminder 

I got hacked today lost my whole bank 

I changed my password, added a bank pin and auth.

Everyone please do it as well and practice good cybersecurity ! ! ! 

Unread
  (#6)
Default Wednesday 9th May, 2018, 04:24

With 2fa and a bank pin, Even if they know your passwords they cannot access your account.

Well said Cayleb thanks for sharing the information

Unread
  (#8)
Default Wednesday 9th May, 2018, 05:44

Thanks for the information, do hope that people take your thread into consideration and actually put up the services we offer in terms of security. 

Unread
  (#9)
Default Wednesday 9th May, 2018, 06:12

Bank pins are absolutely necessary. 

Unread
  (#10)
Default Wednesday 9th May, 2018, 15:06

I got hacked last night as well.... sad times.

I have authenticator as well.