Mod Jacmob

PVM Combat & Slayer Helmets

22 posts in this topic

Unread
  (#0)
Default PVM Combat & Slayer Helmets - Thursday 14th May, 2020, 15:52

Hello, Community Members of Near-Reality,

Combat Engine

I understand many of you are at loss of words at this current time, and I can completely understand that. As we move forward we have to take drastic measures to ensure the success of Near-Reality for the long run. I don't disagree with you, bosses and mobs have become far stronger for the current bonuses our gear now has, rest be assured, all Bosses and NPCs will be adjusted accordingly.

I would like to talk to you about why we have made the changes to the combat system and slayer helmets. The main reason for the changes to the combat system, is to make Near-Reality more PK friendly, with accurate bonuses, proper max hits, it makes sense now when PKing on NRPK (at our roots we are a PK server). These changes mean no more outrageous max hits, catching freezes commonly using d'hides and so forth.

The combat engine rewrite allows for new items to come into the game as well, in the past we were simply adding new items by increasing the already outrageous bonuses. Moving forward I promise to you the majority of Bosses and Monsters will have their HP and bonuses rewritten. We are not trying to make it an extremely tedious process to PVM, we simply want to allow for new gear to come into the game without effecting max hits, PKing and so forth.

** We understand there may a few issues, but it's also day one, and we will be tweaking and fixing things as we see fit.

Slayer Helmets

The Slayer Helmet effects working everywhere regardless of being on a task for such a long period of time, has made you accustomed to the PVM system. As we changed the combat engine it means a majority of Boss and Monster HP and bonuses must be changed as well. As I said above were not trying to make PVM an even bigger and harder grind, in fact the opposite, we want you all to have fun and enjoy yourselves. The Slayer Helmet effect had effects that were powerful yes, but it also discounted every other head slot item in the game, this was an issue.

So what do I plan to do about this issue? I understand the majority's point of view, and why the community is so upset, so I have decided to compromise. The next patch will include Slayer Helmets that are kept on death (still tradeable), this means you can do Wilderness Slayer with the BIS helmet and not have any issues (other than a small buy-back fee from Perdu).

This update was solely to allow for new content to be introduced to the game, and not bring about an inevitable power creep, I understand it's frustrating due to the Bosses and Monsters not being properly scaled, but that will be fixed.

Moving Forward/Slayer Revamp/DHL + Arclight Fixes

As I said above, we have a great deal of content coming your way, we will be making a large announcement by the end of this weekend with some news that will surely brighten your moods. This allows us to scale our items properly and introduce new BIS gear without it being overly powerful.

** We will be fixing the Slayer Helmets not working on Blue Dragon task (Vorkath), Hellhound task (Cerberus), and Abyssal Demon task (Sire). We will also be buffing the Dragon hunter lance and Arclight so it's better DPS than the Lime Whip versus these specific monsters.

This also brings me to my last point, the Slayer system, this has been neglected over the past year or so, and I personally promise to re-write the majority of this system to make it more rewarding and interactive to do the Slayer skill, pre and post 99. The Slayer revamp will be a major project and will take some time, but everything we are doing right now puts us in the best possible position for advertisements and the summer.

This update was based solely on my discretion, so please be angry at me, and not my staff and or development team. They did not have a say in this final decision, and regardless if they were on board with it or not, BE ANGRY WITH ME, not the people that dedicate a great deal of time to helping the game thrive.

Report any issues with monsters/bosses etc, here: https://near-reality.org/forums/topic/31337-pvm-after-the-recent-combat-changes-megathread/

Mod Jacmob

Near Reality Management Team

Edited by Jase

Unread
  (#0)
Default Thursday 14th May, 2020, 15:56

As we changed the combat engine it means a majority of Boss and Monster HP and bonuses must be changed.

There we go, people should give this update some time to be tweaked. Quick response Jacmob, kudos.

Unread
  (#0)
Default Thursday 14th May, 2020, 15:56
1 minute ago, Blood Buns said:

Ty Jacmob

nutrider

Unread
  (#0)
Default Thursday 14th May, 2020, 16:00

the one thing i think is that this was pushed way to fast. but i do love the idea of slayer helm being only on task. but the thing was that before these changes you should of had tweaked the hp + defence on some of the monsters you already knew were being hard already. but then again misstakes are made. and i am still a player that loves this server. and i really look forward for these updates. 

Love to see that you actually read what we are saying on the update threads. (am not saying i didnt believe that)

Unread
  (#0)
Default Thursday 14th May, 2020, 16:00

Yes so after some testing today I think there's a lot of things really all over the place here. I don't wana blame anyone personally for this but the result is really.... disappointing, to say the least. Why I think like this you can read in my countless other posts of today, I am tired repeating it over and over again.

PVMing became impossible, and while appeasing the PK community (count: approx. 3 people) with strange updates you are sacrificing literally the whole PVM aspect of the game. Which is substantial, also and especially people wise. So people will run, run run... Really people, something has to be done, a revert at best or something in order to restore the usual situation. I mean after all i got a DHL near max melee and range gear and you wana tell me I shouldnt be able to kill vork or zul in under a minute? I mean, seriously? Vork and Zul should be doable <1min with good gear outside slayer task! Hydra should be doable in 1:15 max or so. With DHL of course. And yes DHL is supposed to hit 100+!

I mean it's nice that you at least have (or act) some dedication to maintain PVMing as is or even make it easier. But you went way to the opposite here. Plus, who cares about other helmets? 80% of all items useless, if its NR or OSRS, same situation. Why do something for obscure useless helmets? Its a very, very outrageous argument. And it's only serving people who hoarded these obscure unneccessary helmets (which are strangely often LDI). Everyone else is damaged hard by this move

Edited by hoodboss

Unread
  (#0)
Default Thursday 14th May, 2020, 16:06

we know why combat was changed. we understand things are broken in near reality like magic and korasi etc. we welcome the combat changes for pvp as a pking community as a whole with open arms. however that is all it should of been. WILDERNESS. NOT PVM. this post here is only addressing slayer helms, and pvp and boss changes. what about gear changes? you just reverted the fact that a player can build up from rune-dragon-bandos-statius-vesta-primal-torva-degvesta.(and respective styes) primordial boots which are from leg mbox (which makes u money on dono store) and from cerberus which is one of the hardest and longest fights currently on near reality; a grind for a pair of primordial boots would on average take about 40 hours of nonstop combat. a regular player during covid would take 4-6 days to complete this task. for a total of +1 strength upgrade from dragon boots (which you get in first 3 hours of gameplay by accident.) you essentially made iron-man pointless. upgrades are no longer upgrades for them.

we don't give a fuck about the slayer helm not hitting 160 when your not on task. YOUR NOT ON TASK. THAT MAKES SENSE. we give a fuck that our entire game and "what we grind for" and upgrade during our play period on near reality. is now virtually pointless as a standard dharokian pk set now hits 3 max hit less than bis melee gear. 

Unread
  (#0)
Default Thursday 14th May, 2020, 16:08

Thats also a good point (well i do care if my DHL goes down to a lousy 80 hit, when it was 240+ before), but the buff of all the gear i mean come on! +1 is nothing, it doesnt even affect max hit. It's ridiculous. Seriously, what have u been thinking? :( 

This update is a motivation killer on so many levels. I think its more than time to fix that, or otherwise people will run run run as far as they can

Edited by hoodboss

Unread
  (#0)
Default Thursday 14th May, 2020, 16:21

Like its very clear according to the poll on the slayer helm thread that alot of people are displeased with this update. Core of the issue I think is that this is an update with little regard to the vast majority of the community and its consequences and complications, even though the intentions for the better are there.

You made us aware of a new combat engine for pvp ahead of this update (hype), not such a massive overhaul for pvm aswell (yikes). Evidently that should have been communicated in a better fashion.

Many people play NR for the big hits; they're gone. It will take time to process that.

We now have a slayer helm that isnt working (at all), extremely unbalanced pvm and item stats in correlation to drop rates. Launching an update in this state will create backlash.

As a result of this mosters will have to get nerfed so you can do them off task, which will lead to doing them on task will be overpowered. This can create balancing difficulties considering your plans with slayer.

Unread
  (#0)
Default Thursday 14th May, 2020, 16:43

I still do not understand why we are nerfing slayer helms into the ground. I don't go into the wilerness much. Did you think aobut pvmers at all when you forced this update upon us? Our gear is nerfed into the ground and our slayer helms do fuck all if not on task. Why would I be on task? Post 99 slayer is pointless. It only had a point in order to make a fsh and a head and then sell for money. What you've done is ruin nex sets and ruin slayer helms. Idk how anyone can even slightly view this update as positive. The combat system made is so melee in the wilderness hits nothing but 0s. Everything about this is so fucked up. And anyone who agrees is lying to themselves, afraid to stand up and give your opinon. This update is going to ruin the game. Mark my words.

Also, keeping it on death? Cool? Will it effect my gameplay? Not in the slightest

Edited by Echoes